£500.00 - £550 per annum
4 months ago
The Systems Engineer (SE) is responsible for the engineering and support aspects of application middleware components. The SE oversees the technical design, development and maintenance of application infrastructure components as well as maintaining engineering design standards and a stable application infrastructure environment. The SE provides coordination to ensure implementation and monitoring of applications as well as analyzing and projecting long-range capacity requirements. The SE will deal with system related incidents and problems, upgrades, patching, provisioning, configuring and disaster recovery and will be required to collaborate with a variety of technical teams.
- Provides on-call rotational production technical support, manages severity level 1 issues and implements change controls as well as contributes to production issue resolution.
- Ensures application availability, reliability, stability and documents root cause analysis of all in-scope incidents along with recommended corrective action plans.
- Participate in OS upgrades, application migrations and projects requiring infrastructure implementation and/or changes
- Assist with application releases and processes
- Act as an infrastructure partner on projects, helping to define the infrastructure needs, outlining benefits and addressing issues as they arise
- Create and maintain technical documents such as knowledge base articles, infrastructure diagrams, and FAQs
Compliance and Security:
- Perform routine housekeeping and health check monitoring within both RedHat/Windows Servers and Application environments: not limited to monitoring of application services, batch processes, backup jobs; archiving of logs, etc.
- Respond to security requirements and changes and ensure that they are applied to the systems within area of control
- Carry out account revalidation exercises as required
- Assist with audit reviews and ensure audit requirements and changes are met, collaborating with various business and application teams as necessary
- Maintain audit compliance and reporting procedures
Participate in process improvement initiatives including:
- Identify opportunities for systems and tools enhancements and automation to aid operational efficiencies.
- Identify opportunities for middleware enhancements, performance tuning, server hardening, etc. via automation to aid operational efficiencies
- Contribute to group/team wide improvement initiatives
- Leverage local knowledge and skills to identify further opportunities for improvement
- Ensure ongoing conformances of processes (end user support and operation)
- Comply with MMC processes and standards during course of work and attend mandatory training as required
- At least 4-5 years of working experience in a RedHat Linux and/or Windows, IIS and .NET based middleware environment, preferably with a scope of responsibility that spans multiple world geographies
- At least 2-3 years' experience supporting a multi-tiered web environment
- Experience in cloud computing and containerization
Knowledge and skills (general and technical)
- Strong knowledge of cloud computing technologies and environments as well as containerization (docker)
- A good awareness of Microsoft .NET technology
- Good knowledge on patching procedures for RedHat, Windows OS, .NET, etc.
- Experience handling large MS .NET and IIS based windows and web applications is highly desirable
- Excellent communication and writing skills
- Experience in at least one end-user ticket management system
- Experience/good knowledge of an industry standard change management process
- Exposure to Microsoft SQL server 2008/2012/2016 and Oracle RAC is preferred
- Experience in basic network troubleshooting (e.g. listen, netstat, fiddler, route)
- Enjoys working in fast pace ever changing work environment